Saturday, September 22, 2012

Hair, textile damage and a little sightseeing

Apologies for the lack of posts; I've had a laptop disaster "Hard drive failure imminent"! Anyway, I'm now at a friends place in Sydney so have chance to up date my blog :)

The rest of my time in Canberra was spent with Professor James Robertson at the University of Canberra and Dr Jane Hemmings (and Team) at Australian Federal Police. I also had chance to do a little sightseeing :)

James, Jane and I discussed a book chapter we are collaborating on.

At UoC I sat in on a first year laboratory in hair analysis taught by James, I wonder if the students realised how lucky they are to have him teaching them. I had a chance to chat with the students about their aspirations and we talked about the differences in teaching / degrees between AUS and UK. I also sat in on a lecture James gave to a mixture of forensic and law students So you think you know about forensic science - very interesting and some useful pointers for my own lecturing. I was lucky to be able to participate in an AFP training course on hair examination.

At AFP I was invited to give a lecture and I had a chance to understand how evidence is submitted for examination and the process by which textile damage is assessed.

Lecture at AFP

After the lecture I had a chance to discuss with the Textile Damage team a case of ripped knickers, the damage observed in both the actual garment and the recreations was very similar to laboratory based work we are currently conducting at Shrivenham. This is important because it means we might be able to answer the question "how hard were they pulled off the person".

I handed out my first Churchill coins to James and Jane to thank them for looking after me during the week.

Jane, James and I with Churchill coins

Some general pics from Canberra:







No comments:

Post a Comment